Friday, April 9, 2010

WP3: Cursory Analysis

[PICTURE OF SCULPTURE HERE]

When first looking at my sculpture, Pieta by Bruno Lucchesi, attention is focused on a little girl laying on what looks to be a bed. The girl is sprawled carelessly across the bed with her head in her arms. As an audience member, the way the girl is positioned brings thoughts of despair and sorrow to mind: while as an audience member I can not see the girls face directly, it seems as if the girl is sobbing into her arms. Upon seeing this girl's sorrow, as an audience member I wonder what is going on that would cause this reaction. We are then focused at the person that is laying within the bed: an elderly person. It is not extremely evident if this elderly person is male or female, but obviously has been sick. This subject is propped up against many pillows, which can imply that this person has been there in the bed for a while. The elderly person's hands are also very "veiny" and he/she looks very fragile. Upon looking at the face of this elderly person it is recognized that the eyes are closed and the head as a whole is drooped down towards the chest. Cultural/social events signal this as a sign of death in my mind. The context of this sculpture turns from just an elderly person and a girl, to a sad death of a loved one.

Technical elements wise I see a large display of pathos through the emotions between the subjects and the sympathy that is developed within me while looking at this sculpture. It is interesting to note the contrast of emotions between the elderly person and the girl: The girl is in obvious grief, where as the elderly person looks very at peace and even shows a slight glimpse of a smile on his/her face. In my letter to this sculpture I think I will focus on this and try to deliver comfort to the girl. I can do this through the sympathy that this sculpture develops. I have had a grandparent in the hospital, in a bed similar to this, that later passed away. I can feel the pain that this girl feels and can definitely use this relation to write a letter of the things I was told during my situation as well as the things I would have liked to hear and never did hear.

Another aspect of the sculpture is the realistic nature of it. Instead of delivering an abstract version of this "story", the audience is presented with a very realistic interpretation of this scene. When looking at this sculpture, as an audience member you feel like you step into the scene. The tall green scrubs almost serve as the boundary of the hospital room or bedroom this scene is taking place in. It is a very intimate scene.

Overall, I am very excited to analyze this different medium of argumentation at the Sheldon. I feel that writing a letter to this sculpture will be a very interesting change for me and help strengthen me as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment